Drop what you’re doing and install DropBox!
I get a lot of people who come up to me and ask me for advice on how to organize their business better. For the most part, these are real estate agents that ask me, and they ask me because of my reputation in helping top producers in the business become a little more organized. Real estate agents are great to be surrounded by because they are business minded people who essentially each own their own business and are self-employed. They’re not always the most tech-savvy people, but that’s where I come in.
The very first thing I tell people is so simple.
Dropbox is free desktop synchronization software that lets you store a copy of a file on your computer and then access that same file from anywhere.
You get 2gb of storage for FREE, so there is no need to hesitate. Just do it. Installation takes about five minutes.
Dropbox works seamlessly, and you don’t ever have to think about it. It’s just a simple folder that you keep your documents in on your computer, just like “My Documents” on PC and “Documents” in Mac. I keep ALL my files in the Dropbox folder. That’s it. And that folder will be synced wherever you want it to. My favorite thing about Dropbox is having the peace of mind that all my files are safely and securely stored.
I don’t just recommend Dropbox to small business, but I also highly recommend it to individuals. No need to “back-up” your files on an external hard drive every week or month or so. With Dropbox, it’s all done for you automatically.
Dropbox is GREAT for a team. I used to work with a real estate team with about 5 people. We all had Dropbox installed in our computers. When someone adds a new document or file, it automatically updates the rest of the computers that are synced. No need to ask the admin person for this and that anymore!
After installing Dropbox, now you should organize your files! Stop putting everything in different places! Stop putting everything on the desktop! Create appropriate folders so it doesn’t take you forever to find it next time! It baffles me when I see digital files spread out every where. You can save a ton of time and work so much more efficiently if you just start with organizing your digital files.
I really couldn’t do with Dropbox. Seriously.
And I have no idea why you wouldn’t use it.
But Dropbox is so much more than backing up your files. See the information I took from their site below. It’s simple and straight forward, so I didn’t see a reason to rewrite everything already explain in their website.
Your files, anywhere
Any file you save to Dropbox also instantly saves to your computers, phones, and the Dropbox website.
• 2GB of Dropbox for free, with subscriptions up to 100GB available.
• Your files are always available from the secure Dropbox website.
• Dropbox works with Windows, Mac, Linux, iPad, iPhone, Android and BlackBerry.
• Works even when offline. You always have your files, whether or not you have a connection.
• Dropbox transfers just the parts of a file that change (not the whole thing).
• Manually set bandwidth limits — Dropbox won’t hog your connection.
Shared folders allow people to work together on the same projects and documents.
• Invite friends, family or teammates to a folder. It’ll be as if you saved the folder to their computers.
• See other people’s changes instantly.
• Create photo galleries viewable by anyone you choose.
• Send a link to any file in your Dropbox using your Public folder.
Apps for iPhone, iPad, Android, and BlackBerry keep your Dropbox at hand, even on the go.
• Bring your files with you when you’re on the go.
• Edit files in your Dropbox from your phone.
• Easily upload your photos and videos to Dropbox.
• Share freely with family and friends.
Your stuff is safe
Dropbox protects your files without you needing to think about it.
• Dropbox keeps a one-month history of your work.
• Any changes can be undone, and files can be undeleted.
• All transmission of file data occurs over an encrypted channel (SSL).
• All files stored on Dropbox are encrypted (AES-256).